You have no doubt heard of or have even created a vision board. And, while some might think it a little fluffy or “woo woo”, vision boards stand as visual manifestations of our aspirations and dreams. They are a tangible guide for our goals and support in creating an action plan and support system to achieve them. Creating a vision board is a fun end-of-year activity for not only individuals but also for teams to come together and add input into what they would like to see in the workplace for the year. In this blog, I share the science behind its effectiveness, guide you through the step-by-step process of creating a compelling vision board, and provide thought-provoking questions to elevate your vision board from a mere collage to a transformative tool.
The Science Behind Vision Boards
- The Power of Visualisation: Vision boards tap into the science of visualisation, where mental imagery can influence our subconscious mind. When we consistently visualise our goals, it activates neural pathways associated with motivation and goal achievement.
- Reticular Activating System (RAS): The RAS in our brain acts as a filter, prioritising information based on our goals. By regularly exposing ourselves to images of our desired outcomes on a vision board, we signal the RAS to be more attuned to opportunities that align with those goals.
- Positive Psychology: Vision boards align with principles of positive psychology by fostering a positive mindset. Surrounding ourselves with images that represent our aspirations triggers the release of neurotransmitters like dopamine, creating a positive feedback loop.
The Art of Vision Board Creation
- Gather Your Supplies: Before diving into the creative process, gather materials such as magazines, scissors, glue, and a sturdy board or poster paper. Consider using a board that resonates with you, perhaps in your favourite colour or texture. If you have a remote team or don’t have many magazines, Miro is a great online tool to create a board and share for everyone to add in their input.
- Define Your Focus: What areas of your life do you want to focus on? Whether it’s career, relationships, health, or personal growth, identifying specific themes will help you create a more targeted and impactful vision board.
- Select Images and Words: Flip through magazines or search online for images and words that resonate with your goals. Be open-minded and choose visuals that evoke positive emotions, even if they don’t seem directly related to your goals at first.
- Arrange Elements: Lay out your selected images and words on your board in a way that feels visually appealing and meaningful. Consider the layout and flow to create a harmonious representation of your aspirations.
- Add Personal Touches: Incorporate personal items, quotes, or affirmations that hold significance to you. Your vision board should be a reflection of your unique personality and aspirations.
Questions to think about to boost Your Vision Board
- What Does Success Mean to Me? Reflect on your definition of success. How does it look and feel? Select images that embody this definition.
- Where Do I See Myself in 5 Years? Envision your future self. What accomplishments have you achieved? What does your ideal life entail?
- What Energises and Inspires Me? Identify activities, places, or people that energise and inspire you. Include visuals that resonate with these sources of inspiration.
- What Habits Will Support My Goals? Consider the daily habits and routines that will contribute to your success. Include symbols or words that represent these habits.
- How Can I Overcome Challenges? Acknowledge potential obstacles on your journey. What strategies can you employ to overcome challenges? Include images that symbolize resilience and determination.
Your Vision, Your Future
Creating a vision board is not just an artistic endeavour; it’s a scientifically grounded practice that harnesses the power of the mind. As you embark on this creative journey, let your vision board become a tangible representation of your dreams and a catalyst for the future you wish to create. By blending the art of visualisation with thoughtful consideration, your vision board becomes a roadmap to guide you toward the life you desire.