Lately, two topics crop up with increasing frequency when I chat with my clients. Those are burnout and the “curse of capability.”
I define the curse of capability like this. You are very capable at what you do and have a great opportunity ahead of you, yet you know it is not what you really want. You have more to offer but you’re ‘stuck’ in a rut because your expertise is valued. You might feel “bored’ which stems from the lack of fulfilment and therefore engagement. At its worst, it leads to a form of mental, emotional and spiritual burnout.
So, what is burnout? WebMD says it’s “…a form of exhaustion caused by constantly feeling swamped. It’s a result of excessive and prolonged emotional, physical, and mental stress. … Burnout happens when you’re overwhelmed, emotionally drained, and unable to keep up with life’s incessant demands.” Are you burnt out? Check for the warning signs I’ve discussed previously.
The solution to both problems is changing.
And here’s a way of beginning.
Recharge your batteries.
We have four batteries to keep charged: physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. If you’re burnt out, all your batteries will be flat. Unfortunately, we usually forget about them until it’s too late. We need to know which of our batteries are flat and how to recharge. Whether it’s disconnecting from work, meditating, taking a holiday, or changing jobs completely, we need to recharge or we won’t recover.
- Start saying ‘no’. It’s OK to say no when you’re feeling overwhelmed, or it holds you back from other opportunities. Don’t feel guilty. You have a right to safeguard your boundaries.
- Discover what you want from your job. A little reflection will help you assess what’s good and what’s not so good about your job. What is missing from it that would make you feel energised? What needs to change? Are you even heading in the right direction? We don’t work just for money – we work for the satisfaction of contributing to the world.
- Get support to make the changes. Now is the time to change and your workplace may be more ready to support you than you realise. With the great Resignation looming, companies want to hold onto their talented people. You may be able to negotiate a job change within your current company. At the very least, they should be ready to help you plan a vibrant career. Don’t be afraid to ask.
- If you know you’re capable of more and you’re keen to extend yourself, I can help. First, download my free whitepaper on Peak Performance (link) and learn how to keep your batteries charged. Managing your energy is a key part of achieving peak performance and I’ve included lots of tips and ideas in the paper.
- Next, read my free whitepaper on The Curse of Capability (link) to understand how you’ve become stuck in one spot and how to break free.
Finally, I’d like to offer you a free one-day pass to my online coaching program, Career Clarity (link) which will give you access to the tools and strategies you need to make a decision and create your dream career by design.
Whether you’re feeling burnt out or stuck with your capabilities, it’s time to make 2022 a revolutionary year for your career.
Here’s to your success!